River Street Planning & DevelopmentOn this page: Prattsville | River Street Planning | News
For nearly fourteen months, River Street Planning & Development has been privileged to organize and lead a volunteer team of colleagues to assist the Town of Prattsville, in Greene County to recover from Tropical Storms Irene and Lee. Our work involves all aspects of community planning, design, economic assessment, implementation planning and advocacy. The Prattsville community has high hopes. In April 2012 The Town Board unanimously adopted its Long Term Community Recovery Plan (LTCRP). Since then the Town was awarded a $50,000 grant from the New York State Department of State to hire River Street as its long term community recovery manager.
In August 2012, the Town was awarded $1.0 million in Community Development Block Grant funds to support housing rehabilitation and small business assistance to address storm damage. River Street prepared six grants that are pending review by New York State offices of Community Renewal, Department of State, Empire State Development Corporation, Office of Parks, Recreation an Historic Preservation, Council on the Arts and Energy Research and Development Authority for LTCRP priority projects. A major grant request to facilitate development of the visionary Town Common Project was recommended for funding by the Capital Region Regional Economic Council. Federal grants are under review by the United States Department of Commerce Economic Development Administration. Before the end of 2012, a full time Vista volunteer will begin work with the newly formed Prattsville Development Corporation to help River Street with program implementation. more ...
River Street Planning & Development, LLC is a woman-owned company located in Troy, New York. Our firm offers services in community planning, economic development, project finance, visioning and public process facilitation, and historic preservation.
We offer an effective, outcome-oriented approach to planning that builds consensus and capacity, strengthens local leadership, and shapes community pride and vision -- vital ingredients for successful community action.
Our planning work is anchored in, and shaped by, a strong element of public involvement, leading to greater cooperation of all citizens around common community interests. more ...
- River Street, with Synthesis LLP and Shumaker Engineering has been retained by the Town of Union to develop a Long Term Community Recovery Strategy as the Town and Villages of Endicott and Johnson City continue to recover from 2011 Hurricane Lee. Our scope of work will include partnering with the Town to develop a long term vision-driven plan to become a more flood-safe and resilient place. The $175,000 project is funded by a grant from the New York State Department of State and by the Town of Union.
- River Street has been hired by the Town of Westport to develop an Economic Revitalization Strategy. Our team members are Ernest Swiger and AES Northeast.
- The Village of Sidney has selected River Street at its Long Term Community Recovery Manager. River Street is facilitating public input and developing a Long Term Community Recovery Plan and Economic Strategy for the Village. Our team for this project includes BCK/IBI Group, Synthesis LLP, and New England Environmental.
- The Town of New Hartford has hired River Street to update their Comprehensive Plan, Zoning Ordinance and Southern Area Environmental Impact Statement. Our colleague Susan Blickstein will assist with SEQRA compliance.
- The Village of Rouses Point has hired River Street to implement its Microenterprise Assistance Program funded by the NYS Office of Community Renewal. The program will provide grant assistance and technical support to small businesses, focusing on infilling the Village's historic main street core.
- The Town of Fort Covington has hired River Street to plan and implement its economic and community development strategy.
- As a member of a team lead by the Chazen Companies, River Street has been selected by the Town of Queensbury to provide market assessment and public process support to the Town's local waterfront implementation program and Brownfield Opportunity Area nomination activities.
- On October 16, 2012 River Street Principal, Margaret Irwin was the guest speaker at the Oneida County Association of Towns Meeting. She spoke about the value that comprehensive plan and zoning review plays in establishing a resilient and sustainable local economy.
- River Street recently completed The West Central Adirondacks Housing Needs Assessment for the Central Adirondack Partnership for the 21st Century. The report assesses housing needs and lays out a strategy to meet affordable housing needs for the Adirondack Park communities of Old Forge, Inlet, Forestport, Long Lake and Webb.
- River Street is nearing completion of the Town of Kinderhook Comprehensive Plan update, and zoning updates for the Towns of Greenville and Paris and the City of Watervliet. The zoning update we prepared for the Town of Northampton was adopted on May 16, 2012.